Initiate Voting While Vesting

WHAT

We propose to update the current Governor contract to refer to the various Soft DAO distributors (see Launch Token Governance Proposal), in order to implement voting while vesting.

This means that community members receiving SOFT distributions can vote, even if the majority of their tokens are still in a vesting contract.

Additionally, this update enables the 2x voting power multiple on tokens in the relevant distributor contracts, as referenced in the initial SoftDrop proposal.

WHY

The current Governor contract adopted by Soft DAO was created prior to the existence of these distributors. Therefore, it does not reference any SOFT distributors when assessing on-chain for voting power — it only looks at the SOFT token contract.

This update is therefore necessary for Soft DAO’s governance to function in accordance with its intended configuration. Only distributors holding significant token quantities will be included as voting sources.

HOW

If this proposal is approved, voting while vesting will be activated by calling the setVoteSources function in the Governor contract. This will set the aforementioned distributors as voting source, enabling community members to vote with their unclaimed tokens.

Specifically, the proposal will call:

governor.setVoteSources(

0xf266195e1b30b8f536834303c555bd6aaf063f04,

0x7CCb139707d69571aF1a53C1EDa47165c8733F30,

0x1c4Fa9Ff73EEcF0b32DaE948a6aB9f716b39a754,

0xad8F05420F7d988CE63eb9bDeCCE86518fE59E07

)

to provide voting power through the following distributors:

• SoftDrop (0xf266195e1b30b8f536834303c555bd6aaf063f04)
  • Launch Supporters - Timelock (0x7CCb139707d69571aF1a53C1EDa47165c8733F30)
  • Launch Supporters - Pricelock (0x1c4Fa9Ff73EEcF0b32DaE948a6aB9f716b39a754)
  • Early Dev Bounties & Ops (0xad8F05420F7d988CE63eb9bDeCCE86518fE59E07)

Tokens allocated to a beneficiary within one of the relevant distributors will only provide two votes per token so long as the tokens remain unclaimed. Once claimed, tokens held directly by a beneficiary will provide one vote per token.

Several distributors holding small numbers of tokens (< 1 million SOFT) will not be included as voting sources to reduce future voting costs (Each distributor or smart contract listed as a voting source increases the total cost of voting on-chain).

Those DAO members most interested in long-term governance should claim tokens at least once to activate their voting power and then keep their remaining SOFT tokens in the distributors to preserve their 2x voting power.

Note that https://www.tally.xyz/gov/softdao may not show voting power from these distributors correctly. We’re discussing this with the Tally team to look for solutions.

As always, community feedback and discussion is encouraged.

Relevant Links:

Soft DAO Governor Contract:

Launch Token Governance Proposal:

Soft DAO Governance Contracts Explainer:

30 Likes

Of course, I am in favor of this decision, in fact, it has already been accepted by the community, because we have been discussing this for a long time. Another step towards creating a full-fledged DAO

13 Likes

in general, I agree. there are some moments that are definitely pleasing. and the gas on Ethereum I think definitely complicates the task a bit(

4 Likes

I agree. there are some moments that are definitely pleasing.

4 Likes

I don’t quite agree. then why do we need a functional with the transfer of voting rights? I would suggest another option. when putting a question to the vote, the votes of the holders and beneficiaries are taken into account - let’s call them the general. also, in parallel, you can vote for everyone who is a token holder. thus, if the results of the general vote differ globally from the opinion of the community, run a re-vote.

4 Likes

Personally, Lucian’s thoughts are very valuable to me.
Reducing voting costs by eliminating a small number of token holders
I think it will provide smooth operation for the intended configuration.

4 Likes

Tks I’m in favor. Can’t wait to use my voting power! Tho it’s vested. Tks fam

3 Likes

Interesting update, so voting power will be higher than now

3 Likes

I don’t know much about our votes. And I always say that I would like to see it implemented within the platform and not on a third-party service. In any case, voting with blocked tokens is a good practice

3 Likes

It seems like it was originally planned to be done, we are going in the right direction, I fully support it.

3 Likes

Everything seems to have a good plan.
I can’t wait for the day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I like this new decision, more votes from more vesting

3 Likes

Good decision, this proposal is great, go on!

3 Likes

this is cool that community can vote for next updates in thone soft dao)

3 Likes

I support, this is another step towards creating a full-fledged DAO

3 Likes

Я согласен. есть некоторые моменты, которые определенно радуют. Интересное обновление, так что количество голосов будет выше, чем сейчас :star_struck:

3 Likes

this is cool that community can vote for next updates

3 Likes

Agree. I am supporting on the approach. At least can get more votes.

3 Likes

My opinion on Initiating voting while vesting is an interesting concept to consider. This can help to increase community participation and engagement in the decision-making process. However, it is important to ensure that there are clear guidelines and rules in place to prevent abuse of voting rights by those who may have vested a large amount of tokens. It may also be worth exploring options for tiered voting rights based on the amount of tokens vested, to ensure that those with a larger stake have a proportional say in the outcome. Overall, it’s a concept worth exploring, but careful consideration and planning are necessary to ensure a fair and effective system.

3 Likes

I think it is worth reviewing all the details so that there are no nuances in the future, and also consult with other participants whether everything suits them and they support it

3 Likes